Tuesday 4 August 2015

Travel Tuesday: Egyptian Treasures in the Petrie Museum, London

A painted stele showing a man named Ihefy adoring the god Horus and offering him a lotus, Dynasty XXII-XXV (1991-1550 BC)

I'm back in Oxford, so as usual one of the first things I did was head down to London to see friends and museums! Last week I visited the Petrie Museum of Egyptian Archaeology at University College London. I'll be writing about it in more detail over at the Black Gate blog tomorrow, so tune in there for more info and pictures.

There isn't much information on the label, but the Paser mentioned here may have been the Viceroy of Kush (now Sudan) during the reign of the Pharaoh Ay (c.1323–1319 BC) and perhaps one or two later rulers.
I've always been drawn to simple objects from the past, such as this ancient spoon. Whose was it? What was their favorite meal?


All photos copyright Sean McLachlan.

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And there are so many cool museums to visit in London! I admit, I never made it to that one.

Shannon Lawrence said...

Some day I hope to go to London. I like the simple every day objects of the past, as well. I think they connect us more with the people who lived then.

Looking for more from Sean McLachlan? He also hangs out on the Civil War Horror blog, where he focuses on Civil War and Wild West history.

You can also find him on his Twitter feed and Facebook page.